Vehicle Armoring — The Same Trusted Kevlar® Fiber Performance
The same properties that make DuPont™ Kevlar® a trusted fiber for use in personal body armor helps make it the natural choice for vehicle armoring systems.
Warfighters count on their training and equipment when completing a mission. That’s where spall liners, spall blankets and RPG nets made with DuPont™ Kevlar® come in. Armor systems made with Kevlar® brand fiber are among the lightest, most durable, reliable, flame-resistant, heat resistant and high-value choice for a range of MRAP vehicles, ships, airplanes, and helicopters.
Kevlar® fiber does not melt or shrink when exposed to extreme heat and flame and is extremely resistant to cuts. Ballistic panels made with Kevlar® fiber perform well over a broad range of environmental conditions and maintain ballistic performance after years of service.
Vehicle armoring made using Kevlar® fiber helps provide better protection at a lower weight. In addition, it helps:
- Reduce weight, allowing for reduced fuel consumption, higher payloads, and increased maneuverability
- Allow for a thinner, lighter armor system
- Meet NAVSEA requirements for flame, smoke, and toxicity and will not act as a fuel source nor sustain combustion
- Offer excellent thermal stability and can be used continuously at temperatures above 120°C without loss of performance
- Maintain ballistic performance after years of service
Product Data Sheets (1)
USES AND APPLICATIONS
While synonymous with personal body armour, DuPont™ Kevlar® fibre is found in many applications for vehicle armour protection. MRAP vehicles made using Kevlar® fibres help protect soldiers who are involved in IED and RPG attacks.